Imatge del Moianès

Places of interest

Granera

Castell de Granera
The castle of Granera:
The castle of Granera is situated on top of a rocky outcrop which dominates the small village, and the small cluster of houses known as the Castel quarter. Built at the end of the crest line known as the castle crest line, it is situated at an altitude of 830 m. The castle still has all the walls which delimit the site and has an interesting polygonal structure to adapt to the rocky outcrop which constitutes its base.
The castle is built with high quality stone. The entrance is to the east and there are two ramps paved with stones to access it. Inside the castle, which is closed, there are important remains of of a large house with Gothic structures of a chapel and other structures.

The first written reference to the castle of Granera dates from the year 971. It was in a count’s ownership and was considered part of the County of Manresa. At the beginning of the 11th century the family of the lords of Balsareny was granted the freehold of its property. Then it passed through marriage to the viscountcy of Barcelona, returned to the crown and was granted to several families.

The castle constitutes the most important viewpoint in the southwest of the region of Moianès, with impressive views over Sant Llorenç de Munt and Montserrat. Every 6th of January, the Epiphany, many people go up to the castle to see the sun pass through the Roca Foradada (a rock with a hole in it) in Montserrat.
Santa Cecília
The Romanesque chapel of Santa Cecília: The chapel of Santa Cecília (Saint Cecilia) was built in the 11th century on an allodium given to Santa Cecília of Montserrat in 971. It is situated in the place where the asphalt road ends, at the entrance of the districts which make up the village, and, next to it, the parish graveyard was built in 1892. This chapel preserves a magnificent Romanesque apse, with Lombard decoration, and inside there are faded remains of some very basic Romanesque paintings, painted with red and yellow ochre, which represent Christ Pantocrator and four angels surrounding him. This chapel was in ruins and abandoned from 1940 until it was completely restored and liturgy started being celebrated again on the 5th of September, 1976.
Església de Sant Martí
Sant Martí Church: Situated in the lower western area of its quarter. It is a building dating from the 13th century made up of a rectangular nave which originally had its façade and access on the west side, where you can still see the original entrance, half covered in earth, corresponding to the late Romanesque. Attached to the church there is the vicarage and the town hall. The graveyard was moved next to the Chapel of Sta. Cecília.
Mirador de Can Cucut
Mirador del Cucut (Viewpoint of the cuckoo)
Situated at the beginning of Castell street, it enables the visitor to contemplate views over Sant Llorenç del Munt, Montserrat and the Castle of Granera.